Thursday, February 25, 2010

a near complete disaster.

Today was my chemistry test, and to say things started off badly would be an understatement. Just after the invigilator started the exam, I tried my calculator and to my sagging mouth's horror, the calculator suddenly decided to run outta battery at this inopportune time. Wonderful.

I've always heard of such cases but its so surreal to have to experience it first hand. To compound my misery, the previous night, the thought to pack another spare calculator into my bag was waved away by my brain. Plus, I should have listened to the signs, as zw was telling me that his calculator ran outta battery or sth, and that he needed to borrow from corn.

But not to worry, a combination of prayers and innovative ideas kept the calculator sorta running til the end of the examination. Such ideas include repeatedly whacking the calculator (as if that's really any use), warming up the effing battery with my hands (again, as if that's really any use -.- ), and punching the "On" button repeatedly (maybe that had some use). But in desperation, clinging on to such thin threads of hope kept me from totally losing my head and run around the hall stark naked.

Thank God I survived that ordeal. I had changed the batteries just last sem, could it be that uni-level calculations take up so much computing power?

A few pointers that I took away from this experience.
- Always bring extra calculators.
- Or bring an abacus.
- Listen to the signs around you for any impending disasters.
- I am UNABLE calculate (1-2.5) without the use of my calculator.

No comments:

Post a Comment